Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Turnip Puff

I found this recipe on Recipezaar, tried it last night and it was pretty good. I'm not a huge turnip fan so this was a nice surprise. I can't leave a recipe alone though, so I will post the recipe as written, then my notes at the bottom will let you know how I change it up just a little, along with ways I will try it next time.

TURNIP PUFF
Serves 6
Preheat oven to 375

6 cups turnips, cubed
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs, beaten lightly
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Cook turnip, drain very well and mash. Allow mashed turnips to cool some then add butter and eggs, beat well. Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg, stir well. Pour mixture into a well greased, small but deep casserole dish. Mix melted butter with breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top of turnip mixture. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until puffed a bit and golden.

My changes/suggestions:
  • I doubled the breadcrumbs then added a handful of minced onions along with the melted butter.
  • Didn't have white pepper on hand so I used regular.
  • A bit of cheese (I'm sure any would work) would be GREAT in this.
  • I also like things with a bit of zest so I will add a pinch of paprika or cayenne next time.
  • This is a great side dish but add some shredded chicken straight into the turnip mixture before baking and I bet you could make it the main dish.

No comments: